RESOURCES / 英语学习资源

RESOURCES / 英语学习资源

欢迎加入秀丽英语学习 QQ群392616907,交流学习经验,分享网络资源,共同提高英语水平。

秀丽英语学习软件支持网上下载的各种视频文件,配合srt格式的英文字幕,就可以用于学习。
以下是为方便大家学习,从网上搜集的一些资源,资源添加中。
Oprah Winfrey Harvard Commencement speech | Harvard Commencement 2013/奥普拉·温弗瑞哈佛大学2013年毕业典礼演讲

Oprah Winfrey Harvard Commencement speech | Harvard Commencement 2013/奥普拉·温弗瑞哈佛大学2013年毕业典礼演讲

Oprah Winfrey, who has used her success as a talk show host and media entrepreneur to promote education, civic engagement, and charitable works, addresses graduates at Harvard's 362nd Commencement on May 30, 2013 at Tercentenary Theatre. 奥普拉·温弗瑞,谁使用了她作为一个成功的谈话节目主持人和媒体企业家促进教育,公民参与,和慈善工作,解决毕业生在哈佛大学第三百六十二届毕业典礼于2013年5月30日在三百年剧院。

视频及中英文字幕文件下载地址:

链接:http://pan.baidu.com/s/1eQmvRqU 密码:m3xe
如何下载,请看操作说明

英汉双语对照剧本

Oh my goodness!
哦 我的天哪!

I'm at Harvard!
我终于来到哈佛了!

Wow!
哇哦!

To president Faust, my fellow honorands,
福斯特校长 以及各位荣誉学位获得者

Carl, that was so beautiful. Thank you so much.
卡尔 这一切是如此美好 非常感谢你们

and James Rothenberg, Stephanie Wilson,
还有詹姆斯·罗森伯格 斯蒂芬妮·威尔逊

Harvard faculty,
以及哈佛大学教职员工

with a special bow to my friend, Doctor Henry Louis Gates.
特别要向我的朋友亨利·路易斯·盖茨博士致敬

All of you alumni, with a special bow to the class of eighty eight,
所有的毕业生们 特别要恭喜88届的同学们

your hundred and fifteen million dollars.
你们的一亿一千五百万美元到手了哦

And to you, members of the Harvard class of two thousand thirteen! Hello!
还有你们 2013届毕业生! 你们好!

I thank you for allowing me to be a part
感谢你们 让我有机会

of your conclusion of this chapter of your lives
与你们共度人生这一华丽篇章的谢幕时刻

and the commencement of your next chapter
并开启新的篇章

to say that I'm honored doesn't even begin
仅仅用荣幸一词 无法表达出

to quantify the depth of gratitude that really companies
我对同时授予我的

an honorary doctorate from Harvard.
哈佛大学荣誉博士学位的感激之情

And not too many little girls from rural Mississippi
能够荣登剑桥顶级学府的

have made it all the way here to Cambridge,
密西西比州乡下女孩可谓屈指可数

and I can tell you that I consider today
说实话 今天早上

as I sat on the stage this morning
当我坐在台上的时候

getting teary for you all, and getting teary for myself.
为你们 也为我自己喜极而泣

I consider today a defining milestone
我认为 今天是一段漫长美好的旅途中的

in a very long and an bless journey.
一个标志性里程碑

My one hope today is that I can be a source of some inspiration
今天我唯一的希望就是自己可以成为灵感的源泉

I'm going to address my remarks to anybody,
我要对那些感到自卑与失落的人

who's ever felt inferior or felt disadvantage, felt screwed by life,
以及那些感觉生活不顺的人发表一下我的看法

this is a speech for the quad.
以及那些感觉生活不顺的人发表一下我的看法

Actually I was so honored.
我确实深感荣幸

I wanted to do something really special for you.
我想为你们做一些特别的事情

I wanted to be able to have you look under your seats
我也很想在你们的座位下面放点礼物

and there would be free, a free... master and doctor degrees
赠送给你们一些硕士与博士学位

but I see, I see you got that covered, already.
但看来你们已经有了

I will be honest with you,
说实话

and I felt a lot of pressure over the past few weeks.
在过去的几周内 我感到压力非常大

to come up with something that I could share with you
不知该与你们分享哪些

that you hadn't heard before,
你们闻所未闻的内容才好

because after all, you all went to Harvard. I did not.
毕竟你们都进了哈佛深造 而我却没有

but then I realized that you don't have to necessarily go to Harvard
但后来我意识到 并不一定要来哈佛

to have the driven obsessive type A personality
才能塑造出A型强迫症人格的

But it helps.
但来这还是有用的

and Well, I may not have graduated from here,
虽然我没从这里毕业

I admit that my personality is about this Harvard as they come.
我得承认 我的个性与哈佛学子的不谋而合

You know, my television career began unexpectedly.
其实 我的电视生涯是在不经意中开始的

as you've heard this morning,
各位在今天早上已经听说了

I was in a Miss Fire Prevention Contest.
我参加了防火小姐比赛

That was when I was sixteen years old, in Nashville, Tennessee,
那还是我16岁的时候 当时在田纳西州的纳什维尔

and you had the requirement of having to have red hair in order to win,
要想赢得比赛 就得将头发染红

up until the year that I entered.
直到我参赛的那年都是如此

So they were redoing the "question-and-answer" period,
他们沿用了问答的环节

because I knew I wasn't going to win in this swimsuit competition.
因为我知道 我赢不了泳装比赛

So, doing the question-and-answer period, the question came:
在问答环节中 问题是这样的

"Why, young lady? What would you like to be when you will grow up?"
"小姐 长大以后你希望做什么?"

And by the time they've got to me all the good answers were gone.
轮到我的时候 所有的好答案都被别人用光了

So, I had seen Barbara Walters on the Today Show that morning.
那天早上我看过了芭芭拉·沃尔特斯的今日秀

So I answered: "I would like to be a journalist.
于是我就回答说我想成为一名新闻工作者

I would like to tell other people stories
我想给人们讲述故事

in a way that makes a difference in their lives and the world."
从而影响人们的生活 改变整个世界"

And as those words were coming out of my mouth,
当那些话从我嘴里说出来的时候

I went: "Whoa! this is pretty good!"
我感觉 "哇! 这职业蛮不错的嘛!"

I would like to be a journalist. I want to make a difference
我要成为一名新闻工作者 我要改变世界

Well, I was on television by the time I was nineteen years old.
于是 我在19岁那年上了电视

and in nineteen eighty six, I launched my own television show
在1984年 我推出了自己的电视栏目

with a relentless determination to succeed.
而这靠的是自己追求成功的坚定决心

At first, I was nervous about the competition,
起初 我害怕与人竞争

and then I became my own competition.
后来我的竞争对手变成了自己

raising the bar every year,
每年都为自己设定更高的目标

pushing pushing pushing myself as hard as I knew,
逼迫自己竭尽所能

sound familiar to anybody here.
这些是众所周知的了

Eventually, we did make it to the top,
最终 我们终于攀上了巅峰

and we stayed there for twenty five years.
并且保持了25年之久

The Oprah Winfrey show
奥普拉·温弗瑞的栏目

was number one in our time slot for twenty one years.
21年来都保持同时段收视冠军的位置

And I have to tell you,
我得承认

I became pretty comfortable with that level of success.
这样的成功让我感觉非常好

But a few years ago, I decided,
但在若干年前 我做出了决定

as you will, at some point,
各位将来也会和我一样

that it was time to recalculate,
会在某一时刻 认为自己要重新开始

find new territory, break new ground.
寻找新版图 开辟新天地

So ended the show,
于是我停掉了栏目

and launched OWN,
推出了OWN

the Oprah Winfrey Network.
也就是"奥普拉·温弗瑞有线电视网"

Initials just worked out for me.
我很喜欢缩写词

So, one year later after launching on,
在推出一年之后

nearly every media outlet had proclaimed
几乎所有的媒体都宣布

that my new venture with a flop,
我的新事业失败了

not just a flop, but the big bold flop, they call it.
不仅是失败 用他们的话说是"一败涂地"

I can still remember the day I opened up USA Today
我至今依然记得 那天当我翻开《今日美国》时

and read the headline "Oprah - Not Quite Standing On Her 'OWN'".
一个大标题映入眼帘 "奥普拉 - 自难成事"

I mean, really, USA Today, that's the nice newspaper.
我就纳闷了《今日美国》这样的好报纸居然也这样

It really was, this time last year,
的确 去年的这个时侯

the worst period in my professional life.
是我职业生涯的低谷

I was stressed, and I was frustrated.
压力感与挫败感油然而生

And quite frankly, I was... actually, I was embarrassed.
说实话 当时感觉身陷窘境

it was right around that time, the President Faust called.
就在那个节骨眼上 福斯特校长给我打电话

and asked me to speak here.
邀请我来这里做演讲

And I thought: "You want me to speak to Harvard graduates?
当时我想 "您让我来给哈佛毕业生们做演讲?

What I... What can I possibly say to Harvard graduates,
我能对他们说些什么呢

some of the most successful graduates in the world,
他们可是世界上最前途无量的一群人啊

in the very moment when I had stopped succeeding?
而且恰逢我事业失利的时候?

So I got off the phone with President Faust,
于是我挂断了福斯特校长的电话

and I went to the shower.
然后去洗了个澡

It was either that or a bag of Oreos.
要么淋浴 要么就去吃一袋奥利奥饼干

So I chose a shower.
于是我选择去冲个澡

and I was in the shower along time.
在我淋浴的时候

And as I was in the shower the words of an old hymn came to me,
一首古老的赞美诗闪过脑海

you may not know it. It's "By and By... when the morning comes".
你们可能没听过这个 "耐心等待 曙光终将到来"

And I started thinking about when the morning might come.
我开始思考自己的曙光何时到来

Because when the time I thought I was stuck in a hole
因为当我感到身陷困境时

and the words came to me:
想起了这些诗词

"Trouble. trouble don't last always" from that hymn.
"困难 困难终会过去" 这也是出自那首赞美诗

"This too shall pass."
"它也终会过去"

And I thought, as I got out of that shower,
从浴室出来以后 我开始思索

I, I'm going to turn this thing around,
我要扭转这种局面

and I would be better for it.
我会变得更好

And when I do, I'm going to go to Harvard,
一旦我做到了 我会去哈佛大学

I'm going to speak the truth of it.
说出心里话

So I'm here today to tell you:
所以 今天我要跟各位说

I have turned that network around!
我已让电视网重获新生!

And it was all because I wanted to do it
而来这里为你们做演讲

by the time I got to speak to you or so.
就是我唯一的动力

Thank you so much!
非常感谢你们!

You don't know what motivation you are for me. Thank you!
你们不知道这给了我多大的动力 谢谢了!

I'm even prouder to share a fundamental truth
同时 我要更自豪地分享一件事

that you might not have learned, even as graduate of Harvard,
尽管你们是哈佛毕业生 可能也不知道这个

unless you studied the ancient Greek role with professor Nagy,
除非你攻读的是纳吉教授的古希腊角色

professor Nagy, as we were coming in this morning said:
我们今天早上来的时候 纳吉教授对我说:

"Please, Ms. Winfrey, walk decisively."
"温弗瑞女士 请自信地走起来吧!"

I shall walk decisively.
我的确要自信地走起来

This is what I want to share.
这就是我要分享的事情了

It doesn't matter how far you might rise.
无论你有多么成功

At some point, you are bound to stumble.
难免会遇到失意之时

Because if you're constantly doing what we do, raising the bar,
因为如果你们像我们这样 不断提升目标

if you are constantly pushing yourself higher, higher,
如果你们不断为自己设定更高的目标

the Law of averages, not to mention the myth of Icarus,
根据常规 我指的不是伊卡洛斯神话哦

predicts that you will at some point fall.
你们会在某时失意

And when you do, I want you to know this, remember this:
届时 我希望各位可以记住一点 请记住:

There is no such thing as failure.
世上没有失败

Failure is just life trying to move us in another direction.
失败只不过是命运试图将我们推向另一个方向罢了

Now, when you down in a hole, it looks like failure.
当你身处困境时 这只是看似一种失败而已

So, this past year, I had to spoon-feed those words to myself.
在过去的一年中 我时刻提醒自己牢记这一点

And when you're down in the hole, when that moment comes,
当你深陷困境时 在那个时刻到来之时

it's really okay to feel bad for a little while.
暂时的难过是正常的

Give yourself time to mourn what you think you may have lost.
给自己一点时间去哀叹失去的一切

But then here's the key:
然后就是关键所在

Learn from every mistake.
从每次的失误中汲取经验教训

Because every experience encounter, and particularly your mistakes,
因为 所有的经验 尤其是你的失误

are there to teach you and force you into being more who you are.
都会让你学到东西 促使你找回自我

And then figure out what is in the next right move.
然后确定下一步该何去何从

And the key to life is to develop an internal moral emotional GPS
命运的关键在于培育出一个内在的道德情感导航仪

that can tell you which way to go.
使其能够为你指明方向

Because now and forevermore, when you Google yourself,
因为从今以后 当你用谷歌搜索自己的时候

your search results will read: Harvard, two thousand thirteen.
搜索结果中会提到 哈佛大学 2013

and in a very competitive world, that really is a calling card,
在这个充满竞争的世界 那的确是一张抢眼的名片

cause I can tell you as one who employs a lot of people,
就我个人而言 我曾招聘过很多人

when I see Harvard,
当我看到哈佛大学的字眼时

I sit a little bit straighter and say,
我总是会坐直一些 然后说

"Where if he or she? Bring them in."
"他们在哪? 把他们统统带过来"

It's an impressive calling card
正是这张抢眼的名片

that can lead to even more impressive bullets in the years ahead.
可以成就你们的未来之路

Lawyer, senator,
你们可能成为律师 参议员

CEO, scientist, physicist,
首席执行官 科学家 物理学家

winners of Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes,
诺贝尔奖及普利策奖得主

or late night talk show host.
乃至深夜谈话节目主持人

But the challenge of life I found is to build a resume
但我发现 命运的挑战在于创建一份履历

that doesn't simply tell a story about what you want to be,
其中不仅应陈述你所期望的职位

but it's a story about who you want to be.
也应明确你要成就怎样的自我

It's a resume that doesn't just tell a story
这份履历不仅要陈述

about what you want to accomplish, but why.
你想成就一番怎样的事业 也要明确动机

A story that's not just a collection of titles and positions,
不仅要陈述心中的头衔与职位

but a story that is really about your purpose.
也要说出做出这些目标的因由

because when you inadvertently stumble,
因为当你不慎绊倒

and find yourself stuck in a hole,
发现自己深陷困境之时

that is the story that will get you out.
这种动机可以让你从中摆脱

What is your true calling? What is your dogma?
你的原始动机是什么?你的信仰是什么?

What is your purpose?
你的意图是又什么?

For me, that discovery came in nineteen ninety four,
我是在1994年认识到这一点的

when I interviewed a little girl
当时我采访了一位小女孩

who had decided to collect pocket change,
当时我采访了一位小女孩

in order to help other people in need.
帮助其他有需要的人

She raised a thousand dollars all by herself,
她凭一己之力积攒了一千美元

and I thought:
当时我想

Well, what that little nine-year old girl,
当时我想

with a bucket and a big heart, could do that,
仅凭一个存钱罐与雄心壮志 就能做到这样

and I wondered what I could do?
那么我可以做些什么呢?

So, I asked for our viewers to take up their own change collection,
于是 我号召我的观众们捐出他们的零钱

and in one month, just from pennies, and nickels and dimes,
在一个月内 仅仅是那些面值极小的零钱

we raised more than three million dollars
我们就募到了三百多万美元

that we used to send one student
我们用这笔钱将每个州的一位学子

from every state in the United States to college.
送入了大学的殿堂

That was the beginning of the Angel Network.
天使网络便从那时开始运作了

And so, what I did was I simply ask our viewers,
我所做的仅仅是号召我们的观众

do what you can, wherever you are, from wherever you sit in life,
尽己所能 无论地域与地位

giving your time, your talent, your money if you have it,
如果可能 请拿出你们的时间 智慧与财力

and they did,
他们也的确鼎力相助

extend yourself in kindness to other human beings wherever you can.
无论你在哪里 请为他人送去自己的仁爱之心

And, together, we built fifty five schools in twelve different countries,
与此同时 我们在12个州成立了55所学校

and restored nearly three hundred homes that were devastated
修缮了300栋曾被飓风丽塔

by Hurricanes Rita and Katrina.
与飓风卡特里娜摧毁的民宅

So, the Angel Network, I've been on the air for a long time.
天使网络的想法在我心中萦绕已久

But it was the Angel Network that actually focused my internal GPS.
正是天使网络让我确定了心中的那个导航仪

It helped me to decide that I wasn't just going to be on TV every day,
它使我决定 不再单一地从事电视事业

but that the goal of my shows, my interviews,
还要关注我的栏目目标 我的采访

my business, my philanthropy, all of it,
我的业务 我的慈善事业 等等

whatever ventures I might pursue
无论我追求的是什么 我都会明确

would be to make clear that what unites us is ultimately far more redeeming
将我们团结在一起的信念终将

and compelling than anything that separates me.
远远胜过拆散我们的一切事物

Because what has become clear to me, and I want you to know
因为希望各位明白我所认清的道理

it isn't always clear in the beginning.
起初通常是不够明确的

Because as I said, I've been on television since I was nineteen years old.
因为我曾说过 我在19岁那年初登荧屏

But around ninety four, I got really clear.
但到了1994年 我才明白这些道理

So, don't expect the clarity to come all at once
因此 不要指望能即可明晰所有的事

to know your purpose right away,
不要指望能即刻认清自身的志向所在

but what became clear to me was
但当时我清楚地知道

that I was here on earth to use television
我在利用电视

and not be used by it,
而不是被电视所利用

to use television
利用电视媒体

to illuminate the transcendent power of our better angels.
彰显我们更好的天使的超凡力量

So, this Angel Network,
因此 对于天使网络而言

it didn't just change the lives of those who were helped,
它并不只会改变那些得到帮助的人

but the lives of those who also did the helping.
也会改变那些施予帮助的人

It reminded us that no matter who we are or what we looked like,
它提醒我们 无论是谁 外表怎样

or what we may believe, it is both possible.
心存何种信念 都有可能实现目标

And more importantly, it becomes powerful to come together
更重要的是 凭借共同的目的与共同的努力

in common purpose and common effort.
它将变得更为强大

I saw something on the Bill Moyers show, recently,
最近 我在比尔莫耶斯访谈节目中看到的一些事情

that so reminded me of this point.
使我更加明确了这一点

It was an interview with David and Francine Wheeler.
当时的访谈对象是大卫与法兰欣·威勒夫妇

They lost their seven-year-old son, Ben, in the Sandy Hook tragedy.
在桑迪岬惨案中 他们失去了年仅七岁的儿子本

And even though gun safety legislation to strengthen background checks
然而 就在他们接受采访的同时

has been voted down in congress at the time they were doing this interview.
加强背景调查的枪支安全法遭到了国会的投票否决

They talked about how they refused to be discouraged.
他们说自己绝不会气馁

Francine said this. She said:
这是法兰欣说的 她说

"Our hearts are broken, but our spirits are not.
"心可碎 但态度不能变

I'm going to tell them what it's like
我要让他们知道

to find a conversation about change that is love.
寻找转变的对话 这才是爱

And I'm going to do that without fighting them."
我要努力去做到 而不会与他们争斗"

And then her husband David added this:
随后 她的丈夫大卫补充道:

"You simply cannot demonize or vilify someone
"遇到与你意见不同的人

who doesn't agree with you.
你不该把他妖魔化甚至加以诽谤

Because the minute you do that, your discussion is over,
因为一旦这样做了 对话也就随之终止

and we cannot do that any longer.
我们绝不会这样

The problem is too enormous, there has to be some way
问题依然非常显著 一定有某种方法

that this darkness can be banished with light.
能够使光明驱走黑暗

In our political system and in the media,
在我们的政体与媒体中

we often see the reflection of a country
我们会经常会见到一个极化的

that is polarized, that is paralyzed and is self-interested.
麻痹而又自私的国家缩影

And yet, I know you know the truth.
然而 我知道你们是了解真相的

We all know that we are better than the cynicism and the pessimism
我们知道 我们要好过华盛顿政府

that is regurgitated throughout Washington,
以及24小时循环播放的有线新闻中的

and the twenty four hour cable news cycle,
犬儒主义与厌世主义

not my channel by the way.
还好不是我的频道

We understand that the vast majority of people in this country
我们深知 这个国家的多数公民

believe in stronger background checks,
都支持更加强有力的背景调查机制

because they realize that we can uphold the Second Amendment,
因为他们意识到 我们可以赞成第二修正案

and also reduce the violence that is robbing us of our children.
并且减少让我们饱受丧子之痛的暴力事件

They don't have to be incompatible.
二者并不矛盾

And we understand that most Americans
我们深知 大多数美国人坚信

believe in the clear path to citizenship
能够给予居住在这个国家的1200万非法移民

for the twelve million undocumented immigrants to reside in this country
明确的公民身份

because it's possible to both enforce our laws.
因为完全可以在实施法案的同时

And at the same time, embrace the words on the Statue of Liberty
践行自由女神像前的铭言

that have welcomed generations of huddled masses to our shores.
收容那些世代蜷缩在边境线上的人们

We can do both.
二者可以兼得

And we understand, I know you do,
我们能理解 我知道你们也能理解

because you all went to Harvard,
因为你们都是哈佛学子

that people from both parties and no party believe
无论是党派人士或无党派人士都认为

that indigent mothers and families
贫困的母亲与家庭

should have access to healthy food and a roof over their heads
应当获得健康食物与栖身之所

and a strong public education,
以及良好的公共教育

because here in the richest nation on earth,
因为在这个全球最富饶的国度中

we can afford a basic level of security and opportunity.
我们有能力满足对于安全与机遇的基本需要

So, the question is:
那么问题在于

What are we going to do about it? Really.
那么问题在于

What are you going to do about it?
各位要如何行动起来?

Maybe you agree with these beliefs, maybe you don't,
或许你赞同这些信念 或许心存异议

maybe you care about these issues,
或许你关注这些问题

or maybe there are other challenges
亦或还有其它方面的挑战

that you, class of two thousand thirteen year, are passionate about,
是你们这些2013年度毕业生所热衷的

maybe you want to make a difference by serving in government,
或许你希望通过从政来改变这一切

maybe you want to launch your own television show,
或许你希望推出自己的电视栏目

or maybe you simply want to collect some change.
或许只是想要攒些零钱

Your parents would appreciate that about, now.
你们的父母此时会很欣赏这种做法

The point is,
关键在于

your generation is charged with this task of breaking through
你们这一代人肩负着

what the body politic has thus far made impervious to change.
打破国家目前改革维艰的局面

each of you has been blessed with this enormous opportunity
每位来这所知名学府学习的同学

of attending this prestigious school.
都被赐予了极大的机遇

You now have a chance to better your life, the lives of your neighbors,
现在你们有机会让自己及周围的人们生活得更好

and also the life of our country.
包括我们的所有同胞们

When you do that, let me tell you what I know for sure:
届时 我会确信地告诉你

That's when you story gets really good.
那时 你的人生才会变得真正精彩起来

Maya Angelou always says:
玛雅·安吉洛经常说

"When you learn, teach. When you get, give."
"学而知授 得而知施"

That, my friends, is what gives you a story, purpose and meaning.
朋友们 它会为你树立人生的目标与意义

So you all have the power in your own way
因此 你们每个人都有能力

to develop your own Angel Network.
打造自己的天使网络项目

And in doing so, your class will be armed
届时 各位同学在影响力

with more tools of influence and empowerment
以及自主力方面都会如虎添翼

than any other generation in history.
胜于以往的任何一代人

I did it in an analog world.
我就是在与此类似的环境中达到目标的

I was blessed with a platform
我很幸运地建立了一个平台

that at its height reached nearly twenty million viewers a day.
其单日最高点击量达两千万人次

Now, here in a world of Twitter and Facebook and Youtube and Tumbler,


you can reach billions in just seconds.
你们瞬间即可与数以亿计的人实现互通

You are the generation that rejected predictions
你们这一代人

about your detachment and your disengagement,
绝不会让彼此间变得天涯陌路

by showing up to vote in record numbers in two thousand eight.
这从2008年的入学申请人数便可看出

And with the pundits said, they said,
权威人士们曾说过

they talked about you, they said, you'd be too disappointed.
他们曾谈论过你们 说你们会失望透顶

You'd be too dejected
也会心灰意冷

to repeat that same kind of turnout in the two thousand twelve election,
在2012年的选拔中 不会再有那么多人申请

and you prove them wrong by showing up in even greater numbers.
而你们用更大的规模的申请人数 推翻了他们的预测

That's who you are.
这就是你们自己

This generation, you generation, I know,
我知道 你们这一代人

has developed a finely honed radar for B. S.
为商业学校模式的发展做出了贡献

Can you say B. S. at Harvard?
可以在哈佛提起"商业学校"的字眼吗?

The spin and phoniness and artificial nastiness
那些天花乱坠的虚假与龌龊

that saturate so much of our national debate.
饱受了太多的国民非议

I know you all understand better that most
我知道你们对此再清楚不过

that real progress requires authentic,
真正的进步需要真实的方式

an authentic way of being honesty and, above all, empathy.
真诚对待 将心比心

I have to say that the single most important lesson I learned
25年来 我领悟出一条最为关键的哲理

in twenty five years, talking every single day to people,
每天我都会对身边的人说

was that there is a common denominator in our human experience.
那就是 我们的人生阅历中都有一个公分母

Most of us, I tell you, we don't want to be divided.
可以说 多数的人都不想成为分母

What we want,
我们需要的

the common denominator that I found in every single interview,
就是我在每次访谈中发现的那个公分母

is we want to be validated.
那就是 我们想被认可

We want to be understood.
我们想得到他人的理解

I've done over thirty five thousand interviews in my career.
在我的职业生涯中 曾经做过35000次访谈

and as soon as that camera shuts off,
每当摄影机关掉的时候

everyone always turns to be
所有的受访者

and inevitably in their own way ask this question:
必然会用自己的方式问出这样一个问题:

Was that okay?
我表现得还可以吧?

I heard it from President Bush.
布什总统这样说过

I heard it from President Obama.
奥巴马总统也曾这样说过

I've heard it from heroes and from housewives.
包括英雄人物和家庭主妇

I've heard it from victims and perpetrators of crimes.
受害者与罪犯

She finishes performing, hands me the microphone and says:
访谈结束后 她把麦克风交给我 对我说:

Was that okay?
我表现得还可以吧?

Friends and family, yours, enemies, strangers in every argument
你们的亲友 敌人 陌生人 在每次争论时

in every encounter, every exchange,
在每次的相遇与交流时

I will tell you, they all want to know one thing:
他们都想知道的是

Was that okay?
我表现得还可以吧?

Did you hear me? Do you see me?
我表现得还可以吧?

Did what I say mean anything to you?
我的话对你而言是否有意义?

and even though this is a college where Facebook was born,
尽管Facebook在这里诞生

my hope is that you would try to go out
我希望各位要去尝试和那些

and have more face-to-face conversations with people
与你持不同意见的人

you may disagree with.
进行更多的面对面交流

That you all have the courage to look them in the eye,
你们要有勇气注视着他们的眼睛

and hear their point of view,
倾听他们的见解

and help make sure the speed and distance and anonymity of our world
确保我们世界的速度感 距离感以及无名感

doesn't cause us to lose use our ability to stand in somebody else's shoes,
不会让我们失去站在他人角度思考问题的能力

and recognize all that we share as a people.
以及认清我们作为人类的共同点

this is imperative for you, as an individual,
各位作为社会的一员

and for our success as a nation.
这种认知对于你自己和国家的兴盛都是必要的

"There has to be some way that this darkness can be banished with light."
"必然会有方法使光明驱走黑暗"

Says the man whose little boy was massacred
这出自一位儿子惨遭杀害的父亲之口

on just in an ordinary Friday in December.
他在十二月一个平常的周五失去了自己的孩子

So whether you call it, soul or spirit or higher self, intelligence,
称之为灵魂或志气也好 更高的自我或是智慧也罢

there is, I know this, there's a light inside each of you, all of us,
我深知 每个人的内心都有一盏明灯

that illuminates your very human beingness, if you let it.
只要你想 它就会将你的人性照亮

And as a young girl from the rural Mississippi,
作为一位来自密西西比州乡下的小女孩

I learned long ago that being myself was much easier
很久之前我就懂得 做回真我

to pretending to be Barbara Walters.
远比假装成芭芭拉·沃尔特斯容易得多

Although when I first started, because I had Barbara in my head,
当我初登荧屏之时 满脑子想的都是芭芭拉

I would try to sit like Barbara, talk like Barbara, move like Barbara,
举手投足都在刻意模仿芭芭拉

and then when I was on the news, reading the news,
当我播报新闻的时候

and I called Canada, "Can-a-da"
把"加拿大"念成了"坎那大"

and that was the end of me being Barbara.
那就是我模仿芭芭拉的最后时光

I cracked myself up on TV, couldn't stop laughing
我曾在电视节目中大笑不止

And my real personality came through.
随后我开始逐渐形成个人的风格

And I figured out:
我终于明白了

Oh, Gee! I can be a much better Oprah
噢 天呐! 原来做回奥普拉

than I could be a pretend Barbara.
远比假装芭芭拉强过百倍!

I know that you all might have a little anxiety now,
我知道你们目前或许会有些焦虑

and has hesitation about leaving the comfort of college
并对离开舒适的大学生活

and putting those Harvard credentials to the test.
以及检验哈佛的文凭心存犹豫

But no matter what challenges or setbacks or disappointment
但无论你们会在日后遭遇

that you may encounter along the way,
任何的挑战 挫折与失意

you will find true success and happiness,
如果你明确了一个目标

if you have only one goal,
就会找到真正的成功与快乐

there really is only one, and that is this.
而真正的目标只有一个 那就是:

To fulfill the highest most truthful expression of yourself, as a human being.
作为人类 去实现真正的自我

You want a max out your humanity,
将人性展露无遗

by using your energy to lift yourself up, your family,
尽己所能 提升自己与家人

and the people around you.
以及周围的人们

Theologian Howard Thurman said it best. He said:
神学家霍华德·瑟曼说得好 他说:

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs,
"无需自问世界需要什么

ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that.
只需自问如何实现真正的自我 然后大步追寻就好

Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
因为世界需要的就是实现真正自我的人"

The world needs people like Michael Stoltenberg
世界需要劳德代尔堡的

from Fort Lauderdale.
迈克尔·斯图坦伯格那样的人

When Michael was just eight years old,
迈克尔八岁那年

Michael nearly died from a bacterial infection
差点死于细菌感染

that cost both of his hands, and both of his feet.
他也因此失去了双手与双脚

And then in an instant,
瞬间

this vibrant little boy became a quadruple amputee
瞬间

and his life was changed forever.
他的命运也从此改变了

But in losing who he once was, Michael discovered who he wanted to be.
而在迷失自我之时 迈克尔找到了自己的志向

He refused to sit in that wheelchair all day,
他不愿终日坐在轮椅上

and feel sorry for himself.
为自己叹息

So, with prosthetics, he learned to walk and run and play again.
借助修复术 他又重新学会了行走 奔跑与玩耍

He joins his middle school lacrosse team,
他加入了自己所在中学的长曲棍球队

and last month when he learned that so many victims
上个月 当他得知波士顿马拉松赛爆炸案

of the Boston Marathon bombing would become new amputees,
将使很多人成为新的截肢患者时

Michael decided to banish that darkness with light.
迈克尔决定用自己的光亮驱散那片黑暗

to raise one million dollars for other amputees,
为其他截肢患者筹集了100万美元

by the time
与此同时

Harris runs the twenty fourteen Boston Marathon.
与此同时

More than a thousand miles away from here,
在距离此处千里之外的地方

these two young brothers are bringing people together
这两位年轻的兄弟正在号召人们

to support this Boston community
齐心合力支持这个波士顿团体

the way their community came together to support Michael.
就像他们当年支持迈克尔一样

And when this thirteen year old man was asked about
当问到这位13岁的小伙子

his fellow amputees,
对其他截肢患者们的想法时

he said this:
他说道

"First, they will be sad.
"起初 他们会感到悲痛

They're losing something they will never get back,
他们失去某些再也无法复得的东西

and that's scary. I was scared.
这很可怕 我也曾经害怕过

But they'll be okay.
但他们会挺过去的

They just don't know that, yet.
他们只是暂时没有意识到而已

We might not always know it.
或许我们并非总能意识到这一点

We may not always see it or hear it on the news,
或许并非经常在新闻中看到或听到这样的事

or even feel it in our daily lives.
或是在日常生活中亲身感受过

But I have faith that no matter what,
但我坚信 无论发生什么

Class of twenty thousand thirteen, you will be okay,
2013年度的毕业生们 你们都会挺过去的

and you will make sure our country is okay.
并且你们要确保让我们的国家度过难关

I have faith because of that nine year old girl
我的信心来源于那个募集零钱的

who went out and collected the change.
9岁女孩

I have faith because of Divid and Francine Wheeler.
我的信心来源于大卫与法兰欣·威勒夫妇

I have faith because of Michael and Harris Stoltenberg.
我的信心来源于迈克尔与哈里斯斯图坦伯格兄弟

And I have faith because of you.
我的信心来源于在座的各位

The network of angels sitting here today.
天使网络的天使们就坐在这里

One of them, Khadijah Williams,
其中的一位 赫蒂彻·威廉姆斯

who came to Harvard four years ago,
她四年前来到了哈佛大学

Khadijah had attended twelve schools in twelve years,
赫蒂彻在12年中读过12所学校

living out of garbage bags amongst pimps, prostitutes and drug dealers,
和皮条客 妓女与毒贩生活在一起

homeless, going into department stores Wal-Mart
居无定所 每当大清早时

in the morning to bathe herself,
她会去沃尔玛商场洗漱

so that she wouldn't smelling in front of her classmates.
以免让同学闻到自己身上的臭味

And today
今天

she graduates as a member of the Harvard class of twenty thirteen.
今天

From time to time, you may stumble, fall,
人生有时难免踌躇失意 陷入困境

you will for sure count on this. No doubt.
毫无疑问 这些都是难得的财富

You will have questions and you will have doubts about your path.
关于未来之路 你们会心存疑问

But I know this:
但我知道:

If you're willing to listen to be guided by that still small voice,
但我知道:

that is the GPS within yourself,
也就是心中的那个导航仪

to find out what makes you come alive,
找到自己的志向与梦想

you will be more than okay.
那么你会受益良多

You will be happy. You will be successful.
会品味到喜悦与成功

And you will make a difference in the world
打造出属于自己的一片天地

Congratulations, class of twenty thirteen!
祝贺你们 2013年度的毕业生!

Congratulations to your family and friends.
祝贺你们的家人与朋友

Good luck and thank you for listening.
祝你们好运 谢谢聆听

Was that okay?
我表现得还可以吧?

秀丽英语视听学习软件 最好的看美剧看动画看电影学英语软件复读机
© 2014-2023 秀丽英语 All rights reserved.